SCA 6 (Dodd) is another broken promise with tribes
In the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic and a time when tribes are beginning recovery, a bill has been introduced that would expand Nevada-style games to card rooms in urban areas. SCA 6 would effectively repeal Tribal exclusive gaming rights, which was affirmed by 65% of California voters in March 2000 through Proposition 1A. As written, SCA 6 is another broken promise with tribes.
Tribal leaders recognize the state’s need for new revenues because of the COVID-19 crisis, but SCA 6 condones and provides constitutional protection to the illegal banked games card rooms have been conducting in plain sight, otherwise SCA 6 would not need to amend the California Constitution. Instead of empowering tribes to respond to this unprecedented crisis, this bill would further destabilize tribal governments by taking vital governmental revenues away from tribes and their local communities and shifting them to corporate card rooms.
Although SCA 6 would authorize brick and mortar sports wagering, the legalization of online sports wagering works against the efforts of brick and mortar facilities to protect their investments and create California jobs. There are also serious public policy issues to consider and thoroughly vet before legalizing use of mobile phones and tablets to place bets.
Please see the following letters of opposition for SCA 6 (Dodd) by law enforcement, educational, and non profit organizations throughout the State:
Please see below for letters of opposition to SCA 6 (Dodd) from California Tribal Governments and Organizations.
- Updated Final - Statewide Tribal Opposition to SCA 6 (Dodd)
- CNIGA SCA 6 - Oppose Final 5-31-20
- ACBCI_Oppose SCA-6
- Barona oppose - SCA 6
- Bear River Opposition to SCA 6_001
- Blue Lake Rancheria SCA 6 Comment Letter
- Cahuilla opposition
- Chicken Ranch Senator Dodd Letter - Sports Wagering
- 2020-5-31 CICC Opposition to SCA 6
- Dry Creek -Dodd - Opposition to SCA 6 - 2020-06-01
- FIGR Letter Opposing SCA6 0601.20 (2)
- Habematolel Pomo of Upper Lake opposes SCA-6 (Dodd) Final Draft
- Jamul Indian Village - Ltr of Opposition to SCA 6 (Dodd) - 06.02.2020
- Pechanga Opposition to SCA 6_Dodd and Gray_Signature
- Rincon oppose 2020.06.01 RBLI to Sen. Dodd re Sports Betting
- San Pasqual
- SYSCA 6.Oppose.05-30-20
- Sycuan SCA 6 Opp letter
- Tachi 2020.06.01 Letter to Senator Bill Dodd Re SCA 6
- Tule River
- Tuolumne Oppostition to SCA 6
- 29 Palms 2020-06-01_SCA6_OppositionLetter_(final)
- Viejas Letter to Dodd and Gray re SCA6 Opposition 5-29-2020
- Yocha Dehe Wintun Nation Opposes SCA - 6 (Dodd) (1)